What to Wear to a Outdoor Garden Wedding
April 06, 2009 - Linleigh Richker
I received a lovely invitation to an evening wedding set in a wine vineyard for Memorial Day weekend. The dress says “Garden Glamor.” How perfect. Right? A simple dress with a wrap. But my instincts tell me that this search is a bit trickier than most. What to wear as a guest to this wedding has its unwritten rules.
1. Avoid all over white
2. Avoid all over black (navy is a great option)
3. Knee length is preferred (long is not appropriate for this venue)
4. Fabric should be of substance: silk, lace, combinations of cotton/silk. Knit jerseys and double knits also work.
5. Prints are personal; subtle florals can work. I would avoid graphics and color blocking, too sporty for an event like this
6. Details like ruffles, lace, bows, pleats, flounces always lend that added lofty feel.
7. Colors like tangerine, coral, parrot pink, gold, sea foam and navy, if you are not that confectionerily brave, will complete that garden magic. So with all those rules, I came up with a few choices.
Milly's poolside yellow cocktail dress at $455 or
Milly's rainbow floral silk chiffon asymmetrical flutter dress or her ecru/brown trompe l'oeil guipure dress.(not pictured) Whimsical and delicious!
Tory Burch's Belinda vine jacquard coral print dress with a ruched scoop neck at $450 or her Sophia navy flounce at $595. (not pictured)
Nanette Lepore’s trellis stipe corset and garden party skirt each piece $275 or her Larkspur sheath in sea foam $395 (not pictured) or her Very Cherry short flutter sleeveless dress $395. (not pictured)
David Meister’s capsleeve printed sheath dress at $322 or his tangerine re-embroidered lace one shoulder cocktail dress. (not pictured)
Erdem's Adelphia box pleated dress $935
or Erdem's Lucina tailored cap sleeve toile de reve (lilac print) dress at $1135.
Hanii Y's Flutter Trench in navy print at $785. This jacket is sublime paired with an ivory cigarette legged silk pant. (a great substitute if you are not the dress type)
Barney’s private label had a few choices: its Italian lace party dress in navy on sale from $1295 to $779 or its ruffle front sundress in yellow wood grain print $750. (not pictured)
Dior’s navy cotton pique boat neck with back bows on each shoulder at $2490, a knockout fabulous dress if you can spend the money. What will I wear? An ivory linen and tiny gold sequined sleeveless dress by an Italian line called LaviniaTurra. (not pictured)
Now all I need is the wrap!
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference What to Wear to a Outdoor Garden Wedding:
The comments to this entry are closed.